UK Law CLE hosts Kentucky Health Law Institute
October 11, 2016
By: Virginia Davis Scales
The University of Kentucky College of Law Office of Continuing Legal Education (CLE) hosted the Kentucky Health Law Institute in Lexington, KY in September. The two-day event was held at the Marriott Griffin Gate Resort and featured 30 attorneys and health industry professionals speaking about emerging and relevant topics in the health law field.
The topics covered at the institute ranged from legal issues in physician compensation and legal ethics for health care attorneys, to government relations and patient treatment quality. Attendees were able to attend nine presentations throughout the day on Thursday followed by a cocktail and networking reception. There were five presentations on Friday before the institute adjourned.
UK Law CLE partnered with the Kentucky Bar Association Health Law Section and the Kentucky Academy of Hospital Attorneys to sponsor the event. Speakers included:
- Wm. C. (Chip) Adams III, Attorney at Law Law Institute
- Troy A. Barsky, Crowell & Moring
- Robert J. Benvenuti III, Barnett Benvenuti & Butler PLLC
- Melinda Blanche, CCO, Lexington Clinic
- Harold J. Bressler, Ret. Gen. Counsel of the Joint Comm’n, Adjunct Faculty & Sr Advisor, Jaharis Health Law Institute
- Erin Brisbay McMahon, Wyatt Tarrant & Combs LLP
- K. Kelly White Bryant, Stites & Harbison PLLC
- Wesley R. Butler, Barnett Benvenuti & Butler PLLC
- Carole D. Christian, Wyatt Tarrant & Combs LLP
- Harry Dadds, Stoll Keenon Ogden PLLC
- Christian Davis Furman, Medical Director, Institute for Sustainable Health and Optimal Aging
- James A. Dietz, Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Michael N. Fine, Wyatt Tarrant & Combs LLP
- Alexander N. Fritz, CPA/ABV, ASA, CVA, Blue and Company
- Vickie Yates Glisson, Sec’y, KY Cabinet for Health & Family Svcs
- Randy Gott, Senior VP, The Advisory Board Company
- Kerry B. Harvey, U.S. Attorney, E.D. Ky.
- Marian J. Hayden, Cull & Hayden PSC
- Derrick Y. Hill, Kentucky REC
- John Inman, Acting Inspector General, KY Cabinet for Health & Family Services
- Rick King, VP/CLO, Appalachian Regional Healthcare
- Mathew R. Klein, Dressman Benzinger LaVelle PSC
- Phil Marshall, President/CEO, Hosparus
- Steve Miller, Kentucky Medicaid Commissioner
- Stephen E. Oakes, Federal Bureau of Investigations
- Kim Scifres, Director, BKD, LLP
- Daniel C. Soldato, Wyatt Tarrant & Combs LLP
- Sarah Cronan Spurlock, Stites & Harbison PLLC
- Kent Wicker, Dressman Benzinger LaVelle PSC
- Kevin R. Winstead, Ky. Atty Gen. Office
“We are thrilled to have put on another successful conference for the attorneys of Kentucky and the region, especially one on a topic as relevant as health law,” said UK Law CLE Director Kevin Bucknam. “The turnout of incredible speakers and attendees for the two-day institute was remarkable and we hope to maintain that level of attendance for our future health law programs.”
This year’s Institute had a record attendance of 124 persons.
About The Organization
Created in 1973 as the first continuing legal education entity in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, UK Law CLE's stated purpose is to assist the legal profession in: (1) keeping abreast of changes in the law resulting from statutory enactments, court decisions and administrative rulings; (2) developing and sustaining practical lawyering skills and; (3) maintaining a high degree of professionalism in the practice of law. The Office presents legal education conferences throughout the year each focusing on different areas of the law. For more information on UK Law CLE and details about upcoming program offerings visit http://ukcle.com/.