Instructional Services Librarian & Professor of Legal Research
Beau Steenken joined the Law Library Faculty at the University of Kentucky in September 2010. As Instructional Services Librarian, he engaged in a revamp of the Legal Research curriculum as the UK College of Law shifted from an adjunct-model to a full-time faculty model of LRW instruction. He teaches two to four sections of 1L Legal Research a year and also coordinates informal research instruction of various sorts. Before coming to the University of Kentucky, he managed to collect a B.A., a J.D., and an M.S.I.S. from the University of Texas, as well as an M.A. in history from Texas State University and an LL.M. in Public International law from the University of Nottingham, where he also took up archery.
- Legal Research
- Foreign & International Legal Research
- Historical Research
- Law 804 Legal Research and Writing Skills
- Law 90_ Foreign and International Legal Research
- Law 904 Federal Administrative and Tax Research
- Law 892 Foreign and International Legal Research
- Law 893 Federal Administrative and Tax Research
Scholarship is available for download at Beau Steenken's SelectedWorks page.
- Beau Steenken, Local Legislation, in Kentucky Legal Research Manual (4th ed. 2016) (forthcoming).
- Amy Beckham Foster & Beau Steenken, Administrative Law, in Kentucky Legal Research Manual (4th ed. 2016) (forthcoming).
- Beau Steenken & Tina M. Brooks, Sources of American Law: An Introduction to Legal Research (2015).
- Beau Steenken, Keeping Up with New Legal Titles, 108 L. Libr. J. 131 (2016) (reviewing Michael D. Murray and Christy H. DeSanctis, Legal Research Methods, Second Edition (2015)).
- Beau Steenken, Outcomes in the Balance: The Crisis in Legal Education as Catalyst for Change, AALL Spectrum, April 2015, at 10.
- Beau Steenken, The Lexis Two-Step: After Two Major Updates in 2014, Lexis Advance Empowers Users with Improved Functionality, AALL Spectrum, November 2014, at 25.
- Valerie Aggerbeck, Patrick Butler, Susan David DeMaine & Beau Steenken, The 2014 Leadership Academy: Six Months Out, AALL Spectrum, November 2014, at 19.
- Michele A. Lucero & Beau Steenken, Into the Breach with AALL’s Diversity Committee: Law Libraries’ Struggle to Achieve Diversity Goals, AALL Spectrum, February 2013, at 15.
- Beau Steenken, You Say You Want an e-Revolution?: Helping our Patrons Benefit from Developments in Personal Technology, AALL Spectrum, March 2012, at 8.
- Beau Steenken, How to Be Uncommon: Advice to Grads Seeking a First Professional Law Library Job from a Recent Survivor of the Process, AALL Spectrum, June 2011, at 17.