Instructional Services Librarian & Professor of Legal Research
Beau Steenken joined the Law Library Faculty at the University of Kentucky in September 2010. He teaches multiple sections of 1L Legal Research a year, as well as a variety of upper-level research electives, and also coordinates informal research instruction. Along with his colleague Tina M. Brooks, he authors Sources of American Law: An Introduction to Legal Research, an open-access textbook now in its 6thEdition. Before coming to the University of Kentucky, he managed to collect a B.A., a J.D., and an M.S.I.S. from the University of Texas, as well as an M.A. in history from Texas State University and an LL.M. in Public International law from the University of Nottingham, where he also took up archery.
- Legal Research
- Foreign & International Legal Research
- Historical Research
- Law Librarianship
- Law 913 Advanced Legal Research
- Law 804 Legal Research and Writing Skills
- Law 904 Federal Administrative and Tax Research
- Law 892 Foreign and International Legal Research
- Law 893 Federal Administrative and Tax Research
- LIS 641 Law Libraries
Scholarship is available for download at Beau Steenken's SelectedWorks page.
- Beau Steenken, Local Legislation, in Kentucky Legal Research Manual (4th ed. 2016).
- Amy Beckham Foster & Beau Steenken, Administrative Law, in Kentucky Legal Research Manual (4th ed. 2016).
- Beau Steenken & Tina M. Brooks, Sources of American Law: An Introduction to Legal Research (2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2022).
- Beau Steenken, Pilots for Fraught Channels: How Law Librarians Can Help Law Reviews Navigate their DEI Journeys, L. Ref. Serv. Q. (forthcoming 2023).
- Beau Steenken, Outlaws, Pirates, Judges: Judicial Activism as an Expression of Antiauthoritarianism in Anglo-American Culture, 38 Quinnipiac L. Rev. 259 (2020).
- Beau Steenken, Keeping Up with New Legal Titles, 108 L. Libr. J. 131 (2016) (reviewing Michael D. Murray and Christy H. DeSanctis, Legal Research Methods, Second Edition (2015)).
- David McClure & Beau Steenken, Embracing Messiness in the Law Library (without Abandoning the Checklist), AALL Spectrum, July/August 2019, at 28.
- Tina M. Brooks, Franklin L. Runge & Beau Steenken, The Future of Law Libraries, Bench & B., July/August 2016, at 18.
- Beau Steenken, Outcomes in the Balance: The Crisis in Legal Education as Catalyst for Change, AALL Spectrum, April 2015, at 10.
- Beau Steenken, The Lexis Two-Step: After Two Major Updates in 2014, Lexis Advance Empowers Users with Improved Functionality, AALL Spectrum, November 2014, at 25.
- Valerie Aggerbeck, Patrick Butler, Susan David DeMaine & Beau Steenken, The 2014 Leadership Academy: Six Months Out, AALL Spectrum, November 2014, at 19.
- Michele A. Lucero & Beau Steenken, Into the Breach with AALL’s Diversity Committee: Law Libraries’ Struggle to Achieve Diversity Goals, AALL Spectrum, February 2013, at 15.
- Beau Steenken, You Say You Want an e-Revolution?: Helping our Patrons Benefit from Developments in Personal Technology, AALL Spectrum, March 2012, at 8.
- Beau Steenken, How to Be Uncommon: Advice to Grads Seeking a First Professional Law Library Job from a Recent Survivor of the Process, AALL Spectrum, June 2011, at 17.