Skip to main
University-wide Navigation

UK has a central office for all federal financial aid. You can contact the Office of Student Financial Aid (SFA) at 859.257.3172 or visit them in 128 Funkhouser Building on UK’s main campus. You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by April 15 for priority consideration for all federal financial aid.

You are eligible to apply for federal financial aid if you meet the following conditions:

  • You will be enrolled in a degree program for the purpose of obtaining a degree offered UK
  • You are enrolled in at least 5 credit hours
  • You are a US citizen or an eligible non-citizen (See the FAFSA)

Filling out the FAFSA online is the most expedient way to apply for assistance and includes built in "edits" that help filers avoid common mistakes. You must complete the application and list the University of Kentucky in Step 6. The University of Kentucky's Title IV code is 001989. UK Law does not have an individual Title IV code.

Federal financial aid is available in the following forms:


Federal Loans

The maximum loan funds per year provided under the Federal Direct Loan program is the lesser of $20,500.00 or the amount that SFA determines to be your need. If you disagree with the need assessment, you can find instructions to appeal here.

A Federal Direct Loan is federal loan assistance which must be repaid.  At least half-time enrollment status is required.  Half-time status for law students is 5 credit hours.  Repayment begins six months after you cease to be at least a half-time student. You must complete entrance counseling and you must sign a promissory note at Student Law students are eligible for unsubsidized loans only. This means loan interest accrues immediately. You may either pay the interest quarterly or you may request that interest be capitalized (added to the loan principle).

Perkins Loans of varying amounts up to $4,000.00 also are available for qualifying students.

The maximum Direct Loan amount for an independent student is $20,500.00 per year. Please Note: At least $12,000.00 of this amount must be in an unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loan.


Federal Graduate/Professional PLUS Loans

If you require funds beyond the amount you are awarded under these federal loan programs listed above, there are private and Federal Graduate/Professional PLUS loans available. For the Graduate/Professional PLUS loan program, you must be enrolled at least half-time.  Half-time status for law students is 5 credit hours. This loan can be borrowed in addition to the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans. A graduate or professional student is eligible to borrow up to an amount that does not exceed their cost of attendance minus other financial aid. Students may apply at This website allows students to apply for the loan, receive immediate notification of the credit check, and sign a promissory note and complete entrance counseling.

The current interest rate is 7.9% fixed. A Graduate/Professional PLUS borrower may receive a deferment while enrolled at least half-time. The repayment period begins 60 days after the final loan disbursement of the academic year, unless deferred. This loan does not have a 6 month grace period.


Work Study

If you wish to use Federal Work Study as a part of your financial aid package, you must complete the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and indicate your interest in Federal Work Study in FAFSA Question 31. If eligible, your work study award will be included in your financial aid award package. If you receive an award package without work study, but would like to work through the program, please contact your financial aid counselor.


Entrance Counseling

First-time borrowers of the Federal Direct Loan at UK must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and entrance counseling.  These steps must be performed electronically at Electronic signature of the Master Promissory Note requires the pin number assigned to you by the federal government when you completed the FAFSA. The loan will not be released until all requirements have been satisfied.


Exit Counseling

The Federal Direct Loan requires exit counseling when the borrower withdraws, graduates, or drops below half-time attendance. The online session helps you understand your rights and responsibilities, and prepares you for repayment. Complete the exit counseling at


Alternative Loans

The University of Kentucky is providing you with information regarding alternative loans to assist you in making an informed decision about funding your education. Before you look at alternative loan funding, make sure you have researched and used all federal and state financial aid funds that are available to you. As you explore alternative loan options, keep in mind what is most important to you and select the program that meets your personal financial situation. Choosing an alternative loan is a long-term decision — it will be with you long after you have graduated. Being informed now could save you time, difficulties, and money later. 

If you would like to access a comprehensive comparison chart of all lenders used by University of Kentucky students within the last three years, please click on the Alternative Loan Comparison Chart. The University of Kentucky does not recommend one lender over another, nor do we participate in any agreements or arrangements with any lender. You are not limited to the lenders listed on the Comparison Chart and may borrow with any lender of your choice. 

If you have questions concerning a specific alternative loan program, please contact the lender directly.