MenuMenu Image

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

New appointments added Feb. 27

Hours and Locations

Law Building - Room 228
Monday through Friday 3 pm to 6 pm

Lexington Central Library
140 East Main Street, Conf. Room B
Tuesday 5 pm to 8 pm
Saturday 10 am to 2 pm

Our sites are appointment only, although we can answer some quick, simple questions on a drop-in basis. To make an appointment with UK College of Law volunteers click here and select "UK College of Law" or "Central Library" or one of the other six sites in Central Kentucky.  You can also make an appointment by calling United Way of the Bluegrass at 2-1-1 or 866-362-6211 or by going to

We will be open through Wednesday, April 15, but are closed March 16-21 for UK Spring Break.​
Do-it-yourself free tax help online. There are several options to prepare your own taxes at little or no cost to you. is sponsored by the United Way.  It uses an H&R Block program to prepare and file both federal and state taxes for free, if you quality.  You are eligible for this service only if you are a US citizen or permanent resident, because the software provided does not prepare nonresident returns. Gross income limitation for this service is $66,000. 

Help for international students and scholars at UK is available through Sprintax which you will have access to through the UK International Center. You should use Sprintax to do your federal return, if possible, before coming to the College of Law site.  Sprintax will prepare your state return(s) for a fee. We will be glad to review the federal return, make any corrections, and help you with the state return(s) you need.

The Kentucky Revenue Department offers online free-file services which will complete certain federal and state returns for free. You can find all the options here. Select Online Taxes or Tax Act for help with nonresident returns.

The IRS also offers free-file services here, although eligibility is limited and many providers will charge extra for state returns. Read carefully before you sign up. Select Online Taxes and Tax Act will help with nonresident returns.

Questions: For a list of frequently asked questions about VITA click here

If you have other questions about our clinic, email clinic director Douglas Michael at