UK Rosenberg Law regularly admits both transfer and visiting students each year. Applicants must apply online through the Law School Admission Council (LSAC). To be eligible for transfer, you must have less than 45 hours of law school work. To be eligible as a visitor, you must have at least 45 hours of law school work. Regarding Transfer students, acceptance by the Admissions Committee in no way implies that all credits from another law school will be accepted for transfer credit.
Transfer application deadlines are:
- June 1 for fall admission
- December 1 for spring admission, and
- May 1 for summer admission.
After applying, you will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application from UK Rosenberg Law giving you information on accessing the online status checker.
Transfer/Visitor application requirements include:
- Online application and $50.00 fee (via LSAC)
- *Official transcripts from all undergraduate institutions (via LSAC/CAS)
- Official law school transcript (via UK Rosenberg Law Admissions)
- Letter of Good Academic Standing from Dean of Academic Affairs (via UK Rosenberg Law Admissions)
- Personal Statement addressing reasons for transfer (via LSAC)
- At least 2 Letters of Recommendation (via LSAC)
*Transfer Students only
A competitive transfer/visiting applicant should have a 2.7 or higher grade point average (GPA) with at least 25 hours of law school work. The Admissions Committee will consider your law school record, as well as all the other factors considered in an application for a first-year applicant.
Acceptance by the Admissions Committee in no way implies that all credits from another law school will be accepted for transfer credit. Candidates admitted to UK Rosenberg Law as transfer students may receive credit for up to 45 hours of work completed at their previous law school. UK Rosenberg Law accepts credits, but not grades. These credits are considered on a case-by-case basis by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, who reviews the transcript, makes the determination, and notifies students before they enroll what courses will be accepted for transfer credit. The criteria for transfer credit includes:
- The student must have received a grade of “C” or better (or equivalent) in the courses from the original ABA-approved law school.
- The courses must be either typical first-year courses or law school courses in which an upper level student would receive credit at UK Law.
- Work completed at the previous law school is generally accepted at the credit value awarded at the previous school.
The first-year curriculum at the previous law school must generally satisfy the first-year curriculum at UK Rosenberg Law. If it does not, first-year courses must be taken at UK Rosenberg Law to successfully complete the UK Rosenberg Law required curriculum. Transfer students may be asked to supply copies of syllabi or law school catalog descriptions to assist in this determination.
UK Rosenberg Law does not have an articulation agreement with any other law school regarding transfer arrangements.